DIY Standing Desk

I spent about an hour this morning looking at various DIY standing desks online. After spending a total of $41.27, it took me less than a half hour to convert my desk into a standing station.

Supplies:

  • 2 Black Parsons End Tables from Walmart ($12.88 each)
  • 1 White shelf 10″x36″ at Home Depot ($5.69)
  • 2 White 10″ single track brackets at Home Depot ($1.76 each)
  • 1 White 46″ single track upright from Home Depot ($3.96)

I assembled the tables and then cut the track upright into 3 pieces. The 2 pieces I used were equal length and taken from opposite sides of the original piece so that I would have even tops when attached to the table legs. I drilled a couple of small holes in each table leg using the track uprights as my guide. Then I attached the uprights to the legs of one table using some screws I found in my garage. Set it all up and voila!

The thing I liked about using the tracks instead of angle shelf brackets is that I can adjust the height of the keyboard shelf if I need to. I’ll have to put something under the laptop to get it higher and may need to experiment with the height of my main monitor.

I’m really happy with how easy this was and how it turned out. When I need a break from standing it’ll be easy to disconnect the laptop and sit on my office chair or work in the other room. Maybe I’ll even get a high stool to use once in a while. Now we’ll see how my posture improves and if I can get my spine back into a more normal position.

How To Make Almond Butter

Almond butter is an excellent treat and a great way to get those good fats into your diet, but it’s quite pricey to buy. Did you know you can make your own almond butter? It’s actually pretty easy. You need a decent food processor and some almonds. I bought a bag of raw almonds and a bag of dry roasted. When you buy the almonds make sure the only ingredient is raw almonds. You don’t want any salt or anything else in there.

Continue reading “How To Make Almond Butter”

Salad Spinner

If you get a cheap salad spinner you can buy Romaine Hearts, wash them yourself, and spin dry. I did two hearts here which will make about 4 good size salads. It lasts longer in the fridge than buying salad by the bag.

Regrip

Golf Club Regripping

Switching my 3W, 5W, and hybrid from oversize grips to standard. I’m going with Golf Pride Tour Velvet.

Make Your Own Kindle Cover

Earlier this month, we bought my Mom the Kindle from Amazon for Xmas. I remember seeing Joy’s homemade cover and thought it would be cool if we could create one for our Mom. Isaac and I picked up an old hard cover book at a used book store and some crafts supplies from Hobby Lobby.

Costs

  • Used book: $2.50
  • Foam Sheet: $0.79
  • Elastic String: $1.59
  • Gorilla Glue: $4.49
  • Wood Sticks: $2.15

I actually needed the glue for around the house anyways, so I don’t count that as an expense. The foam sheet and sticks were 50% off the listed price, so we paid a total of $5.56. We bought two wood sticks because we weren’t sure which size would work best, so the total cost could have been less that 5 bucks

The first step was to cut the pages out of the book. I used a hook blade with the utility knife but could have easily used a straight blade instead.

We cut a piece of the foam to cover the left side of the cover and the spine. Glued it down and let it dry overnight. Then we cut pieces of the wood that would cover the entire top and bottom of the Kindle. Two smaller pieces were cut for the bottom so keep the buttons and the USB port free for use. We cut some foam and glued it to the wood pieces.

Then we glued the top and right wood pieces in place and let them dry. Using the Kindle as a guide, we determined where the bottom pieces needed to go. When you do this, make sure there is some wiggle room to get the Kindle in and out. Also make sure there is enough room at the top for the elastic to squeeze in. Once the marks were set, we glued those small wood pieces down.

Next we drilled some holes in the book cover. These are used for the elastic string. At first I thought it would work using two pieces of the elastic with one across the top (just above the screen) and one between the screen and the keyboard. It turns out the top piece wouldn’t work because of the rounded corners on the Kindle. So instead, for the top we went with two pieces of elastic that reach diagonally across the corners. Check out the photo after this one to get a better idea of the hole placement.

Once the holes were in the correct spots, it was time to cut a piece of foam for the right side of the case (behind the Kindle). Notice the notches in the foam piece that allow the elastic to pass through. We glued the foam in place.

We had some trouble with the spine of the book bending correctly because of the glue and the foam there. Used clamps for a bit to try to loosen it up and form the correct closed shape.

Fed pieces of elastic through the holes, put the Kindle inside the cover, and tied off each piece of elastic. You don’t need to pull too tight or else it will be tough to get the Kindle in and out of your cover. The elastic should be just tight enough to keep it from moving around.

After it was tied off and everything fit properly, we glued the knots so they won’t come undone. After the glue dried we cut the excess elastic.

Here is the finished product!

We probably spent a combined 2-3 hours on this. It was a fun little project and Mom loves it. For a handful of Washingtons you can create your own Kindle cover too!