- Will I ever escape the Matrix?
- How old will I be before I stop playing video games?
- Do the houses used in the Real World have light switches? They never seem to be in the dark. Ever!
- How old will I be before I lose my hair and start to shave my head?
- When will we get the first woman president?
- How do babies survive and grow on only milk?
Any answers? What do you wonder?
I’ve decided to take the first “I Wonder” post and make it into the I Wonder Series. I’ll add things into a saved post and when I have enough I’ll post it. I think I come up with plenty of random thoughts to keep this going on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
- Is there is a company doing drug testing of potential employees that would let someone off the hook because of a recent trip to Amsterdam? Doubtful.
- Do some of the “bigger” girls wearing tight clothes actually think they look good? Working at a college I see way too many clothes that don’t fit being worn.
- How much do people get paid on some of the big reality TV shows? The Real World and Big Brother as examples. I recently found out that a friend of a friend of a friend got paid $30,000 and over $200 a day for being on an FX reality show which taped for 30 days. The $200/day was for food and entertainment purposes. That’s some sweet cash!
- Will Dan Brown ever finish his next book?
- Why is the drinking age in the United States still 21? So many other countries with the age at 18 or 19 don’t seem to have a problem.
- How long will it take Michelle Wie to win a tournament on the PGA Tour? Yes, that is the men’s tour. I think she is going to be that good.
- What is the longest distance someone has run without stopping?
- Does anyone besides me alphabetize their DVD collection?
- How much snow will we get this winter? Hopefully a lot less than last year.
- Would I feel more screwed if my birthday had been on a February 29th instead of the day after X-mas?
Any answers? What do you wonder?
I always have random thoughts running through my mind, so I thought I’d share a few of them I’ve had lately…
- Why is your list of criminal offenses called a “rap sheet”?
- When we fold our hands, is it based on our dominant hand? I’m right-handed and I fold my hands with my right thumb on top.
- Which pant leg to people tend to put on first? At the moment I can’t even think of which one I do.
- What did Lance Armstrong ever do to piss off the French? I really wish he’d come back for another Tour de France or two, but I can understand why he wants to walk away after 7 straight wins.
- Will the next generation of video game consoles live up to the hype? My guess is they will not.
- Why do people keep dumping money into savings accounts when they have debt up the ass? Interest rates on credit cards and loans are usually much much higher than the rate you earn in a savings account. Using the money to pay off debt makes you money in the long run. Keep enough money stored away for an emergency situation, but put the rest to good use. I’ve paid off my student loans less than 4 years after college and in another 6 months or less I’ll have my auto loan paid off in less than one year. It really does work.
- Why do males tend to read more in the bathroom?
- How can pro athletes to broke? With smart investing their children and grand children should be set for life.
- What would I do first if I won the lottery?
- How much different would I be if I had been born in another state of the US?
- If I was living alone and had some freak accident at home, how long would it take for someone to come looking for me?
- What will be the next big thing in technology? Right now I’d have to say it’s still the iPod family.
- Will anyone ever beat Google as a search engine? Not for a long time…
- Where will I be in 5 years? 10 years? How will I get there?
- Will we see flying cars in our lifetime? I want to drive the highway in the sky.
- How long will poker be as popular as it has been over the last two years?
- Am I making the world a better place?
- Can I recite my ABCs when I’m drunk?
Have an answer to something? Leave a comment.
What do you wonder? Leave a comment.
Why do people and/or businesses announce things on April Fool’s Day? It has to be the worst day of the year for announcments. We want to believe something, but then we remember it’s April 1st and can’t help but think, “Is this a joke?” Seriously, couldn’t an announcement of some sort wait until the next day?
After chewing a piece of gum, do you spit it out or swallow it?
I swallow (my gum). Several people have commented to me in the past that they think it’s gross. I don’t understand. I don’t chew up a piece of licorice and then spit it in the garbage. Or toast, or pickles, or anything for that matter. Why do some people view gum differently from other food items we eat?
We’ve all heard the myths about chewing gum. No, it doesn’t take 7 years to digest. In fact, gum digests just as fast as anything else we swallow and is not harmful.
You’re out shopping for a few things and notice that the cashier didn’t charge you for something. Do you bring it up and ask him/her to charge you for it or do you go on with your business and take the item, free of charge? After all, stores don’t come running after us when they overcharge us for something do they?
What would you do?
I’m a spiritual person who lacks a vocabulary for it.
Lance Armstrong – Every Second Counts (p. 96)
Brilliant! I’ve always looked for the right words to express my beliefs and now I have them.
Continue reading “Faith And Doubt”
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.
Ever played poker in a casino? Do you tip the dealer after a winning hand? Do you do it every time?
For some reason poker etiquette expects you to. I don’t play in a casino very often, but when I do, I’m there to have fun and to make money. As if it’s not hard enough to overcome the rake (casino’s cut of each pot), I’m also expected to overcome dealer tips. Might as well play the slots!
I give a waitress tips because she is taking my order, getting me food, and cleaning up after me. Her job is to serve me in the restaurant. Waitress’s don’t get a decent wage, because tips are the norm. Dealers get paid wages and from the little bit that I’ve heard, it’s pretty decent money. I could be totally wrong on that though. A dealer’s job is to deal the cards and count chips. Something that I (or anyone else at the table) could easily do. Why again do I need to tip this person? No one tips me at work when I fix their computer. I know it’s my job, but it’s hardly a job that anyone at the University can perform.
If we are supposed to tip the dealer, why only on hands that we win? It’s not like the dealer had any influence on our cards. If we are tipping them for “service,” they are providing the same level of service on hands that we win and hands that we lose. The only difference is that we are satisfied with this “service” when we win, but not when we lose.
I’m heading to the casino on Saturday night. I think I might see how much I can win, without tipping the dealer on every pot that I pull in.
For some reason every 5 years or more this post gets shared around to a bunch of angry dealers who fail to read the entire discussion or fail to see by the date that this post was published in 2004! I had to close comments years ago because it gets out of control. Here’s a comment I left in 2009…
For the record, I’ve always tipped when playing poker in a casino unless I forgot to on a hand, which happens to everyone. The only time I’ve ever not given a tip on purpose is if the pot was too small.
I know I haven’t been posting much lately, but I haven’t felt the creativity or had any big inspirations. I’ve been busy cleaning the house, biking, hanging out with friends, golfing, and of course working. Today I had my oil changed and found out that I need new front tires. This weekend I’m heading up to Rogers City for the long weekend (we have the 5th off). The big plans are to go up to the casino in St. Ignace to play some poker, celebrate Jere’s new job, eat some of Dad’s deep-fried turkey, go biking, and check out the poker table Isaac is building so that I can give him specs on what I want mine like. I’m looking forward to the visit home because it’s been quite some time since my last journey north.
I’d like to have some suggestions on topics to write about. I like doing posts that fall into the Thoughts category, so I’d like your (Yes, all 5 of you!) help. What would you like to read? Maybe my thoughts on space exploration, recycling, fashion… It’s up in the air. Let’s get those creative juices flooding.