Pringles Can Improvement

Pringles® are very user-friendly potato chips. They’re fun to eat and addicting. I have an issue with the can though. Once you eat half of the chips, getting at the rest can be messy, unless you pour them in a bowl.

Each can should have some kind of simple spring mechanism that pushes up the bottom as you eat chips. Or how cool would it be if you could peel away layers of the can as you go deeper in the stack of chips?

It would be amazing if the next chip was always at the top of the can.

Photo Challenge: Growth

As part of my daily posting, I’m going to complete The Daily Post Photo Challenge each week.

Whether you take photos with an iPhone or a full-frame DSLR, you’re welcome to participate in our photo challenges. A new theme is announced every Wednesday.

I’ll give myself 2 weeks for each challenge in case I need to come up with an idea for the theme. To keep me on track, I use a repeating reminder.


The first theme for 2018 is growth. I don’t do New Year’s resolutions, so I’ll share a little journey.

The other night, as I was soldering the project HackerBox #0026 I kept thinking back to my first attempt at soldering, when I put headers on a Raspberry Pi Zero. I remember being hesitant and scared, because I was teaching myself how to solder. I was worried I’d either fry the board or burn myself. It felt like it took forever. Everything worked though.

That was only 13 months ago, but it feels like years. I’ve gained a lot of experience with the soldering iron and now know I had nothing to be afraid of. Learning new skills can be scary.

“What if I screw up?”

“What if I’m no good?”

Don’t let the voices of fear prevent you from trying, especially if it’s something you’ve always wanted to do. Do some prep work, read up on the topic, and dive in. Or find someone with experience to help and teach you.

Here’s the back of the circuit board I soldered this week. A lot more complex, but it was second nature.

Is there something you’ve always wanted to learn? What’s stopping you?

Short Lightning Cables

I love 6″ Lightning cables for connecting my iPhone to a battery pack. They are great on-the-go and allow the phone, battery, and cable to fit well in my pocket. My old cable got beat up near the connectors so I picked up this 3-pack on Amazon for $16. I’ve only ever had white Lightning cables, so the braided colors are a nice touch.



Link Dump – 2018/01/04


Unboxing HackerBox #0026: BioSense

The first HackerBox of 2018 arrived and it might be my favorite since I subscribed with #0018.

As suggested in the video, I’m not going to do pricing anymore. I proved the value in these boxes is there for the $$. It’s really hard to estimate prices on these custom kits, so it’s not worth the time. Here is a list of the contents copied from the Instructable for box #0026.

  • HackerBoxes #0026 Collectable Reference Card
  • Exclusive HackerBoxes BioSense PCB
  • OpAmp and Component Kit for BioSense PCB
  • Arduino Nano V3: 5V, 16MHz, MicroUSB
  • OLED Module 0.96 inch, 128×64, SSD1306
  • Pulse Sensor Module
  • Snap-Style Leads for Physiological Sensors
  • Adhesive Gel, Snap-Style Electrode Pads
  • OpenEEG Electrode Strap Kit
  • Shrink Tubing – 50 Piece Variety
  • MicroUSB Cable
  • Exclusive WiredMind Decal

Might be cool to turn this into something for use in my garage gym.

I am preparing a post with a bunch of stuff from the previous boxes I’ve been catching up on. Maybe I’ll wait to post that until I complete this build so I can be all caught up before #0027.

Making Things in 2017

It was late in 2016 when I started getting into electronics and this summer I started buying more tools and converted most of my basement into a workshop. Here’s a recap of my 2017 posts related to making or fixing things.













Wow, I did a lot of experimenting, failing, learning, and accomplishing in my “free time” last year! 2018 should be even better when I combine the new skills I’m acquiring with my list of project ideas.