Ten years after the original, the BBC produced a sequel to their nature series Planet Earth. While the first series was 11 episodes, this second iteration only has 6, but it’s still phenomenal. We live on an amazing planet. In the United States you can watch Planet Earth II on the Discovery Channel.
Some of the moments that left me in awe:
- Penguins being able to find their family and distinguish the call of their mate in a group of over 1 million others.
- Ibex effortlessly moving up and down steep mountain terrain.
- Big cats like the snow leopard and jaguar.
- The plague of locusts.
- Stallions fighting.
- A fox diving in the snow.
- Langur monkeys running and jumping across rooftops.
- Feeding the hyenas.
Throughout the series I kept wondering how much work went into catching some of the scenes. Thankfully they produced a bonus “Making Of”episode as well, which shows off some of the camera equipment and the challenges faced by the camera crews.