- Designing Potentiometer Knobs ⇒
I’m sure this will come in handy when u hey my printer.
- Particle Mesh: Mesh networking for the Internet of Things
The mesh feature is a great idea for IoT devices.
- The Search For A Slim Wallet
As a lover of slim wallets, if I ever tire of the iPhone wallet I’ll give this a try.
- What Could Go Wrong? (@CouldWrong)
My new favorite Twitter account for a laugh.
- This Subsidy for China Is Dumb as a Post ⇒
I’ve been wondering how I was able to get lower cost items shipped from China for free. Now I know.
- Every time another one of these mass shootings happen – right when the Republicans start telling us that the answer is more guns, guns for everyone, guns for teachers, guns for students – I think about Chris Kyle.
Average Joes across American think they’re going to be a movie hero and save the world in a real life situation.
- Elizabeth Swaney – the Olympic halfpipe skier with no tricks who qualified by always turning up ⇒
I see they took the suggestion and started adding normal athletes to the Olympic events.
- Is the CrossFit Open the biggest competition on Earth?
I guess it’s not a secret facility anymore.
- Why Decentralization Matters
Keep watching for the next few years.
- It sure looks like Bulgarian scammers used fake Spotify playlists to make a shitload of money ⇒
People always find a way to game the system when there is money to make.
- How thick is a three-sided coin?
Math is fascinating.
- Meet the hardware startup trying to save athletes’ heads ⇒
In 10 years I doubt football will look the same as it does now.
- Jesus Coin ⇒
Jesus Coin is negotiating with churches to outsource sin forgiveness.
Can’t tell if this is a joke or not.
- The Psychology of Inequality
…poor people engage in riskier behavior, which is why they are poor in the first place.
Preschoolers, brown capuchin monkeys, California state workers, college students recruited for psychological experiments—everyone, it seems, resents inequity. This is true even though what counts as being disadvantaged varies from place to place and from year to year.
- Paige Spiranac discusses bullying, posing for SI Swimsuit
Your words on social media affect people. Don’t be a bully.
- These Girls Build Huge Flame-throwing Robots at School ⇒
If I could go back to school, one thing I’d change is to take more classes like shop and art. I wish we had opportunities like a robotics or programming class.
- Branded in Memory: NFL Edition ⇒
I never realized the Falcons logo was in the shape of an F.
- SportsCenter on Twitter: “There are no words for this game of tic-tac-toe. (via @trailblazers )… “
How does an adult not know how to play?
- I-Team Report: Unclaimed property in Michigan
I have an item on the list. Wonder how much I’ll get.
- Shaun White Scores Perfect 100.00 in Snowmass, Clinches 2018 Winter Olympic Spot
Would be a huge comeback to win gold this year after a bad crash in October that required 62 stitches!
- Log Cabin TIMELAPSE Built By ONE MAN In The Forest (Real Life Minecraft) ⇒
Inspiring. Please explain to me why you can’t learn to make something on your own.
- Four Pi Zeros, Four Cameras, One Really Neat 3D Scanner
Ohh, I’ve recently been wondering if there was an easy way to create a 3D scanner to help with duplicating parts to 3D print.
- 2018 Design of the Year: Tesla Model 3 ⇒
Huge win for Tesla.
- Police union slashes number of ‘get out of jail free’ cards issued ⇒
Wait, what? There is such a thing?
- OttoWinter/esphomelib ⇒
This is going to be awesome when I get back to some home automation projects.
- How a TV Works in Slow Motion ⇒
I’ve known the basics of refresh rates and how this stuff works, but seeing it all close up and in slo-mo taught me a lot. Check this out if you have no idea how TVs and screens produce what you see.
- Pogo-a-go-go Solderless GPIO Pogo Pins
This could be useful for quick prototyping where you don’t want to solder in pin headers on everything.
- Maker Versus Manager – The Sensible Leader
Really good stuff about schedules and mindset.
- Why Raspberry Pi isn’t vulnerable to Spectre or Meltdown ⇒
Maybe we should use Pis everywhere.
- One Day Build using Dollar Store Electronics ⇒
I love this! Might have to try something similar on a weekend.
- Why Bitcoin is Stupid ⇒
One of the best reads about Bitcoin I’ve seen.
- ✔ DiResta: Jimmy Tips Playlist
Over 11 videos Jimmy covers a wide range of tools and techniques.
- Bitcoin: 97% are held by 4% of addresses ⇒
If these holders start getting rid of their bitcoins it would be a huge shift in supply. Watch out.
- Tesla model 3 test drive ⇒
Not a great review.
- Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review ⇒
Very thorough review and much more positive than the previous link.
- Papier Machine Vol.0 : the interactive electronic paper toy
I first linked about Paper Machine in July and now the project is on Kickstarter. I was able to get a super early bird pledge.
- Alleged Freeland Instagram predator headed to trial
Disturbing. Jason lived with us in college and I hung out with him here and there over the years. Haven’t talked to him in about 4 years.
- NeoLucida XL by Pablo Garcia ⇒
I might actually have some drawing skill if I had one of these.
Cool Chrome extension to improve the new tab page. Also available for Firefox.
- Bitcoin futures trading could burst its own bubble ⇒
The crypto currencies had been tanking for a week after futures trading started..
- Never before has a broadcaster commanded legendary status over so many sports. Dick Enberg did just that, and created a lifetime of memories… ⇒
One of the great voices in the history of sports. When I remember some of the great sporting moments, hearing the voice in my head brings it all back. I got chills several times watching this tribute.
- A Short History of “Hack” ⇒
Great little article about what has become a complex word with a lot of meanings.
- 2017 CrossFit Fitness Report
I would never have expected the top movement to change each year.
- Tips of the Year: The Best Tips of 2017 ⇒
A lot of gems here. Work smarter not harder.
- “Call with iPhone” for macOS ⇒
Handy little utility.
- Some Oregonians in Panic Mode After Law Allowing Motorists to Pump Their Own Gas Takes Effect ⇒
The responses by Oregonians are priceless. It was so weird being driving through Oregon and having to wait for someone to pump our gas.
- Tiger’s Blog: Reflecting on 2017
Really hoping Tiger makes some moves in the majors this year.
- Bitcoin could cost us our clean-energy future ⇒
This is insane and doesn’t make me want to jump on the bandwagon. I think I’ll stick to the stock market.
- Paper Signals: A Voice Experiment ⇒
I need to build more simple stuff like this. Would be easy to do with a bunch of microcontrollers I already have and have them talk to Home Assistant.
- Electronic Dice
Next level gaming. It’s exciting when people bring new technology to times that have been around for a long time.
- Disney Illustrator Combines Star Wars And Calvin & Hobbes, And The Result Is Adorable ⇒
Brilliant and fun.
- Team USA Wins 8 Medals, Sets 13 Records In Historic Weightlifting World Championships Performance ⇒
- Amazon Prime Video arrives on Apple TV in over 100 countries ⇒
Finally! Though I rarely use Prime Video it’s really the only reason I still have an Xbox one hooked up.
- Your New Favorite Movie Theater Chain Is Offering Cheetos Popcorn At Every Location
- A Bit About Bitcoin ⇒
Bitcoin sure is in the news a lot lately. But it has no intrinsic value; it’s a speculation like gold. Rapid gains can be exciting, but it’s easy to lose your ass.
If you’re going to buy it, try to limit it to an amount you are willing to completely lose, which we typically define as 10% or less of your net worth.
- White House launching redesigned website on Friday
Might be the only positive thing Trump’s administration has done in an entire year.
- The 50 Best Superhero Movies of All Time ⇒
So many to choose from.
- WHICH TANK FILLS FIRST? ⇒
These riddles are on FB all the time, usually with some of the pipes blocked off.
- The robots are doing CrossFit. The future is going to suck.
Next year’s fittest on Earth?
- My Apology to Naomi Wu and the Make Community ⇒
Looks like Make: realized their mistakes and is doing the right thing. Too bad it had to happen in the first place.
- Hands-On with HoloPlayer One Display!
Getting closer to Minority Report. I still remember how cool the hologram stuff was in that movie.
- Adam Robinson on Understanding
Some good discussion in the comments too.
- WeWork to Buy Meetup, the Service for Bringing Hobbyists Together ⇒
Meetups could be a really good way to utilize WeWork space at night.
- 2017 Bentley Bentayga vs. 2016 Tesla Model X P90D Ludicrous ⇒
A Tesla hauling a car on a trailer still beats fast cars!
- A clever Tesla owner is using his Model S to mine cryptocurrency for free ⇒
Definitely not for free.
- Tiger shoots 4-under, finishes tied for ninth in Hero World Challenge
I watched some of the tournament, which is some of the only non-major golf I’ve watched in years. Great to see Tiger out there competing again. He looked good, so I’m excited to see how his year progresses.
- Robert Mueller’s brilliant strategy for outmaneuvering Trump pardons.
It’s all just beginning.
- AutoPi – Makes your car intelligent by AutoPi.io ⇒
Several levels beyond the Automatic Pro. I’d consider backing if I wasn’t planning to get a Tesla next year.
- IoT Virtual Bootcamp ⇒
Want to learn more about the Internet of Things (IoT)? This free bootcamps looks really good.
- Breadboard Helper Terminals Gen2! ⇒
Cool idea, but I’ve never had any issues with power connections to a breadboard.
- See Through Suppressor in Super Slow Motion (110,000 fps)
I had no idea how silencers work.
- A Clash of Cultures
People can be cruel. Support makers!
- College Basketball’s Player of the Year Will Be One of These 18 Guys ⇒
I really hope Grayson has a solid year and Duke can make a run in March.
- College Basketball 2017-18 Preseason Power Rankings: Duke Is on Top ⇒
Two links in a row to things written by Mark Titus because he’s the most entertaining college basketball writer in the country.
- MMA Fighter Opens Up on Being ‘Dead’ in Cage for 5 Minutes
He cut 45 pounds in a week! Yeah, that’s good for you.
- Mattie Rogers Gets Note To Miss Class For Worlds From USAW CEO ⇒
- Battle of Passive Investing ⇒
People who manage stocks for a living rarely beat index funds or a diversified portfolio, yet too often the average Joe thinks he can do better. A winning stock pick here and there won’t be enough to cancel your bombs. Use something like Wealthfront and watch your money grow!
- Return of the Stinger
I sure hope Tiger can make a comeback from this latest surgery. Excited to see him bringing back the stinger, which was a killer shot for him.
- DrawNames ~ Gift Exchange | Secret Santa Generator
Site I found to do our family gift exchange this year. I love that you can easily search Amazon to create your wish list, which gets shared with the group.
- These Mechanisms Will Make You Fall In Love With Pinball All over Again
I want to play with this stuff! Great advice near the end when asking for help to show that you’re want to learn.
- Using Paper to Cut (Acrylic, Plastic, Wood) ⇒
Who needs fancy blades when you can use paper?
- Winner Of High School Golf Tournament Denied Trophy, Because She’s A Girl ⇒
Want to bet a man created this rule? Stupid!
- On the Road in Shenzhen with MIT @MediaLab ‘Hacking Manufacturing’
Shenzhen is such a neat place.
- Your new creative manifesto
The more adult I become, the more I realize how smart kids are.
- Two Balls in a Can
I would not have guessed what happens.
- Coach’s Corner: Are You Getting Better, or Simply Doing MOAR STUFFZ?
A lot of great points here. I wrote some stuff about this back in June .
- “How many shots would it take a pro to make a hole-in-one?We gave @DodoMolinari 500 balls, here’s what happened…”
The European Tour does some awesome videos like this. Can you imagine hitting the same shot all day long?
- Why We’re Losing the War (On Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, and Cancer ⇒
The numbers here are almost unbelievable.
- North Carolina Was Always Going to Get Off in Its NCAA Investigation ⇒
I remember taking a music class at SVSU because it had a reputation for being an easy A while satisfying a requirement. There were a lot of football players in this class.
- How to Get Started in Electronics
Try it out. It’s a lot of fun!
- Culture at Neflix ⇒
I’ve never liked referring to work as a “family.”
- Boyle’s Self-Flowing Flask Filled With Polyethylene Glycol (Self-Pouring Liquid) = Perpetual Motion?
What magic is this?!
- We have sunsetted TextWrangler ⇒
I’ve been using TW for years in place of TextEdit. I haven’t installed the free mode of BBEdit yet, but it’s supposed to offer even more than TW was capable of.
- The Art of Making a Nixie Tube ⇒
I skimmed through the video, but these are beautiful.