- Maker Knife | The EDC Pocket Tool You Want to Carry by Giaco Whatever ⇒
I might be tempted to back this if I wasn’t boycotting crowd-funding projects. There are way too many delays with most of the projects. $57 is also a lot to pay for a fancy utility knife.
- CrowPi Portable Raspberry Pi Projects Kit
Another cool Kickstarter project. Would be great for someone who wants to start learning electronics.
- Study confirms lifting weights reduces depression ⇒
Lift heavy shit!
- Do you know why it helps you not cry to chew gum while cutting onions? It makes you breath through your mouth.
I’d never heard this but it makes a lot of sense. Usually I don’t have a problem cutting onions so someone will have to try it out and let me know how it works.
- A comprehensive guide to the new Rules of Golf
Great improvements to the game. I’m glad to see the USGA is continuing to evaluate some of the crazy rules they’ve had.
- How long do you REALLY need to shake spray paint?
I’ve been thinking about making a spray paint shaking device, but it appears that would be a waste of time.
- New US Tariffs are Anti-Maker and Will Encourage Offshoring
- Why you should make useless things | Simone Giertz
Try, learn, fail, and enjoy it all.
- The Arrival of the AT&T LTE-M Button
A programmable (I think) 1-Click button with LTE connectivity.
- Revenue And Profit, Per Employee
I hope Automattic makes enough money to be on this in the future.
- Bitcoin estimated to use half a percent of the world’s electric energy by end of 2018 ⇒
Bitcoin is not the future. How much longer before it completely tanks?
- The Tesla Model 3 | Top Gear
Still waiting for my configuration invitation to arrive.
- Tesla Model 3 Gets CR Recommendation After Braking Update ⇒
It’s amazing that they can improve stopping distance by 20 feet with an over-the-air update.
- 10 Strikes and You’re Out — the iOS Feature You’re Probably Not Using But Should
I had no idea that’s how it worked either. Turned the setting on now.
- Pauley Perrette says goodbye to Abby on “NCIS”
This will be a big loss for the show. It’s refreshing to see a celeb say they don’t need to be in a relationship. “I do whatever I want.” Hell yeah!
- Japan’s Rent-a-Family Industry ⇒
A long read that is worth it. I’d never heard of such a thing.
- Digirule2 (Coming May / June 2018) ⇒
Keeping my eye on this one.
- Nest Temperature Sensor
This is exactly the type of device I wrote about in January.
- At the AT-AT’s birth: the improvising of a ‘Star Wars’ icon ⇒
I’ve certainly made the comparison to the Oakland cranes, but it’s a myth.
- Decentralize 01 / Why Decentralize?
Just about everyone has heard of Bitcoin by now, but there are a lot more uses of the technology. Looking forward to future videos in this series.
- Slackmojis – The Best Custom Slack Emojis ⇒
Very thorough list.
- The Gambler Who Cracked the Horse-Racing Code ⇒
Where there is money to be made, you’ll find math and computers.
- Motorized Turntable
I’ve been wanting one of these.
- Home Assistant 🤝 Ubiquiti Networks
It’s amazing when companies embrace open source projects like this. Even better when it’s something I use.
- HQ Update on Brooke Wells’ video (they were hoping you’d miss it) ⇒
CrossFit’s standards for the Open have been getting more fucked up every year. I have many thoughts and should write a post.
- The Canadian Cheese Cartel ⇒
Sounds tough to be a cheese lover in Canada.
- 10 MasterLocks, 2 minutes
Don’t buy a MasterLock No. 3 to secure anything valuable.
- “Nerves Of Steel”; Southwest Airlines Pilot Lauded As A Hero
We have a part of the aircraft missing.
Can you imagine?
- Priority Mail Delivery Map
Neat how the map works to show 1-3 day deliveries.
- Continued: the answers to your questions for Eben Upton ⇒
Read about some of the things they’re thinking about for future Raspberry Pis.
- Muppet Fans Talking – Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project – 3/23/18
I enjoyed the early part of this podcast where they discuss how difficult it is for robots to perform some basic human actions, like picking up a random object from a table.
- Tiger is set to return to the Masters, and a new generation of fans will be watching
“Golf spoils us because you can convince yourself that, on the right weekend, a miracle will unfold for the right player, even if he’s in his 50s. People would laugh if you suggested LeBron would hit a jump shot to win a championship at age 59, but Tom Watson had a putt to win The Open at that same age. Why couldn’t Tiger?”
- Tiger Woods on “the best to ever play” (Oct 20, 2016) | Charlie Rose – YouTube
A year and a half ago. Hard to know if Tiger was joking or actually serious at the time.
- Matthew Champion on Twitter: “this… may be the greatest story ever told… “
Try and read this without laughing out loud.
- ArduTouch music synthesizer kit ⇒
Looks like an awesome kit at a really good price.
- Playlist: How Motors Work For Beginners
I need to make something with a motor.
- What is Ground? Earth Ground/Earthing
When I started learning about electronics I was confused about the ground in a circuit compared to the ground wiring in a house. This is a simple and thorough explanation.
- Cheap SD Cards from eBay are Fake
Buying electronics online is getting scarier with all of the fakes and spying.
- IDEA – nonverbal algorithm assembly instructions ⇒
- Tiger Woods tops our list of the most dominant athletes of the past 20 years
I’ve followed more golf in the last month than I have in the last several years. It’s good to have Tiger back in the game. Only a few days until Masters week!
- Apple is an exception to nearly every rule
Your company is not Apple and you can’t be.
- Sara Sigmundsdottir: Perseverance | Ep.1
The CrossFit women from Iceland are incredible. Time to start drinking Icelandic water?
- Silver Spirit cut in half: Why do this to a cruise ship? ⇒
It’s going to take about 450,000 man hours. I can’t even wrap my head around that. Think about the engineering just to be able to cut the ship in half.
- Repairs: The Joy and Frustration
Even with the limited amount of things I’ve tried to open up I’ve run into a bunch of problems getting inside.
- Make a Functional Kitchen Knife out of Aluminum Foil ⇒
- NHL stunner: A 36-year-old accountant who has never played pro stars in Blackhawks win ⇒
If this happened on April 1st I’d think it was a joke.
- Itsycal for Mac
I’ve switched back to Itsycal, which is open source, after a recent Calendar 2 update added crypto mining.
- Light Phone 2: A ‘dumb phone’ for curing app addiction
In other words, a useless phone.
- WordPress is now 30 per cent of the web, daylight second ⇒
Slowly taking over the Internet and getting closer to 50%.
- Mycroft ⇒
Open source alternative to building your own Alexa or Google Home device.
- Car Qi Charger
May have to try this when I get my Model 3.
Used this perl script to recover Apple Notes for someone.
- Arizona doesn’t do Daylight Saving Time. Here’s why ⇒
When I was spending winters in Arizona is was great not having to deal with the time change.
No one is sure just how much daylight is saved, globally, each year, though physics indicates none.
- New Raspberry Pi model 3B+ 1.4 GHz, 330Mbit Ethernet, 802.11ac, PoE
A new Pi on Pi Day! I want one but I should probably put my other Pis into projects first.
- Designing Potentiometer Knobs ⇒
I’m sure this will come in handy when u hey my printer.
- Particle Mesh: Mesh networking for the Internet of Things
The mesh feature is a great idea for IoT devices.
- The Search For A Slim Wallet
As a lover of slim wallets, if I ever tire of the iPhone wallet I’ll give this a try.
- What Could Go Wrong? (@CouldWrong)
My new favorite Twitter account for a laugh.
- This Subsidy for China Is Dumb as a Post ⇒
I’ve been wondering how I was able to get lower cost items shipped from China for free. Now I know.
- Every time another one of these mass shootings happen – right when the Republicans start telling us that the answer is more guns, guns for everyone, guns for teachers, guns for students – I think about Chris Kyle.
Average Joes across American think they’re going to be a movie hero and save the world in a real life situation.
- Elizabeth Swaney – the Olympic halfpipe skier with no tricks who qualified by always turning up ⇒
I see they took the suggestion and started adding normal athletes to the Olympic events.
- Is the CrossFit Open the biggest competition on Earth?
I guess it’s not a secret facility anymore.
- Why Decentralization Matters
Keep watching for the next few years.
- It sure looks like Bulgarian scammers used fake Spotify playlists to make a shitload of money ⇒
People always find a way to game the system when there is money to make.
- How thick is a three-sided coin?
Math is fascinating.
- Meet the hardware startup trying to save athletes’ heads ⇒
In 10 years I doubt football will look the same as it does now.
- Jesus Coin ⇒
Jesus Coin is negotiating with churches to outsource sin forgiveness.
Can’t tell if this is a joke or not.
- The Psychology of Inequality
…poor people engage in riskier behavior, which is why they are poor in the first place.
Preschoolers, brown capuchin monkeys, California state workers, college students recruited for psychological experiments—everyone, it seems, resents inequity. This is true even though what counts as being disadvantaged varies from place to place and from year to year.
- Paige Spiranac discusses bullying, posing for SI Swimsuit
Your words on social media affect people. Don’t be a bully.
- These Girls Build Huge Flame-throwing Robots at School ⇒
If I could go back to school, one thing I’d change is to take more classes like shop and art. I wish we had opportunities like a robotics or programming class.
- Branded in Memory: NFL Edition ⇒
I never realized the Falcons logo was in the shape of an F.
- SportsCenter on Twitter: “There are no words for this game of tic-tac-toe. (via @trailblazers )… “
How does an adult not know how to play?
- I-Team Report: Unclaimed property in Michigan
I have an item on the list. Wonder how much I’ll get.
- Shaun White Scores Perfect 100.00 in Snowmass, Clinches 2018 Winter Olympic Spot
Would be a huge comeback to win gold this year after a bad crash in October that required 62 stitches!
- Log Cabin TIMELAPSE Built By ONE MAN In The Forest (Real Life Minecraft) ⇒
Inspiring. Please explain to me why you can’t learn to make something on your own.
- Four Pi Zeros, Four Cameras, One Really Neat 3D Scanner
Ohh, I’ve recently been wondering if there was an easy way to create a 3D scanner to help with duplicating parts to 3D print.
- 2018 Design of the Year: Tesla Model 3 ⇒
Huge win for Tesla.
- Police union slashes number of ‘get out of jail free’ cards issued ⇒
Wait, what? There is such a thing?
- OttoWinter/esphomelib ⇒
This is going to be awesome when I get back to some home automation projects.
- How a TV Works in Slow Motion ⇒
I’ve known the basics of refresh rates and how this stuff works, but seeing it all close up and in slo-mo taught me a lot. Check this out if you have no idea how TVs and screens produce what you see.
- Pogo-a-go-go Solderless GPIO Pogo Pins
This could be useful for quick prototyping where you don’t want to solder in pin headers on everything.
- Maker Versus Manager – The Sensible Leader
Really good stuff about schedules and mindset.