Earlier this month, we bought my Mom the Kindle from Amazon for Xmas. I remember seeing Joy’s homemade cover and thought it would be cool if we could create one for our Mom. Isaac and I picked up an old hard cover book at a used book store and some crafts supplies from Hobby Lobby.
- Used book: $2.50
- Foam Sheet: $0.79
- Elastic String: $1.59
- Gorilla Glue: $4.49
- Wood Sticks: $2.15
I actually needed the glue for around the house anyways, so I don’t count that as an expense. The foam sheet and sticks were 50% off the listed price, so we paid a total of $5.56. We bought two wood sticks because we weren’t sure which size would work best, so the total cost could have been less that 5 bucks
The first step was to cut the pages out of the book. I used a hook blade with the utility knife but could have easily used a straight blade instead.
We cut a piece of the foam to cover the left side of the cover and the spine. Glued it down and let it dry overnight. Then we cut pieces of the wood that would cover the entire top and bottom of the Kindle. Two smaller pieces were cut for the bottom so keep the buttons and the USB port free for use. We cut some foam and glued it to the wood pieces.
Then we glued the top and right wood pieces in place and let them dry. Using the Kindle as a guide, we determined where the bottom pieces needed to go. When you do this, make sure there is some wiggle room to get the Kindle in and out. Also make sure there is enough room at the top for the elastic to squeeze in. Once the marks were set, we glued those small wood pieces down.
Next we drilled some holes in the book cover. These are used for the elastic string. At first I thought it would work using two pieces of the elastic with one across the top (just above the screen) and one between the screen and the keyboard. It turns out the top piece wouldn’t work because of the rounded corners on the Kindle. So instead, for the top we went with two pieces of elastic that reach diagonally across the corners. Check out the photo after this one to get a better idea of the hole placement.
Once the holes were in the correct spots, it was time to cut a piece of foam for the right side of the case (behind the Kindle). Notice the notches in the foam piece that allow the elastic to pass through. We glued the foam in place.
We had some trouble with the spine of the book bending correctly because of the glue and the foam there. Used clamps for a bit to try to loosen it up and form the correct closed shape.
Fed pieces of elastic through the holes, put the Kindle inside the cover, and tied off each piece of elastic. You don’t need to pull too tight or else it will be tough to get the Kindle in and out of your cover. The elastic should be just tight enough to keep it from moving around.
After it was tied off and everything fit properly, we glued the knots so they won’t come undone. After the glue dried we cut the excess elastic.
Here is the finished product!
We probably spent a combined 2-3 hours on this. It was a fun little project and Mom loves it. For a handful of Washingtons you can create your own Kindle cover too!