When I got it a couple of months ago, I put it together and wrote a bunch of notes for improvements I wanted to make. I finally got around to spending some time on it. Adafruit’s learn guide and the associated code were a great start and I referenced some ideas from their Multi-tasking the Arduino series. Some of the things I customized with my robot:
- No need to hold buttons in the Bluefruit app to keep the robot moving.
- Increase/decrease speed by pressing buttons 1-4.
- Allowed turning left/right to be combined with forward/reverse.
- Added a backup beeper.
- Added blinkers.
- Added stop/go LEDs. The stop LED will blink when going in reverse.
- Improved the increasing/decreasing speed so the robot doesn’t pop a wheelie or tip over.
I put all of the code and wiring info on GitHub. Here’s a very poor and unedited video of the robot in action. I did a terrible job of keeping the iPhone in frame.
At some point in the future I should update this to work with the iPhone’s gyroscope instead of having to press buttons. Getting my ideas for AdaBox002 wrapped up came just in time since I now have an AdaBox subscription and AdaBox003 ships out tomorrow. I’m excited to see what it is!